>Hay Stack Adventures


Some of you are wondering why I wrote Hay Stack instead of Haystack.

Well, this is an adventure in Stacking Hay.

We’re going to order a big stack of Grass Hay to feed our eating machines Horses, so Mrs. Geezer went over to watch them deliver to our neighbor. She wanted to see how much room we needed and how big the stack was going to be.

They pick it up with a truck and lay it down on it’s back to transport it.
The stack is 2 bales wide by 5 bales deep by Nine Bales High. We’re talking Ninety Bales
When they deliver it, they tip it back up and set it on the ground.

My neighbor had put down some pallets to keep the hay off the ground (for moisture).
The Hay Guy warned us that the pallets would be crushed by the big forks of the machine.

The first stack was leaning a little bit, because of the broken pallets. They braced it with a panel and some 2×4’s.
When the second stack was put in place, it pushed the first stack enough to make it tip over.

My back hurts just thinking about all the work to be done, re-stacking all those bales.

I think it’s about 3.5 tons.

Yep, that’s about 7000 pounds.

Wanna help?


About Retired Geezer

Just another Old Retired Geezer in the Spud State.

Posted on June 21, 2006, in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. 3 Comments.

  1. >I’ll be there right away.Seriously. Any minute now.

  2. >Well, how heavy is an individual bale? Years ago I was a student assistant for my art professor. At the beginning of the fall semester he got his delivery of dry clay for the year: lots & lots of 50 & 75 pound bags of ball and ocmulgee clay. They were dropped off in the parking lot next to his storage area. I moved and stacked about 4000 pounds of the stuff all by myself in an afternoon.

  3. >Nope, sorry. Had my fill of workin’ hay back in my late teens/early 20s, when me and my 2 older brothers kept a few head of cattle on my uncle’s farm. We’d help him bale hay to “pay” him for boardin’ our cattle. Worst work I’ve ever done. We’d stack those d***ed bales on the wagon, then unload ’em in what amounted to a 100 yard long, almost fully enclosed, chicken house–almost no ventilation. It’d get well over 100 degrees in there. Plus, with all the hay dust, I’d be blowin’ the stuff outta my nose for 3 days afterward. Hated it. Hated it.

%d bloggers like this: